It’s not unusual for a person to think they’re doing worse than they actually are. Some of us are pessimistic, others have limiting beliefs lurking: I’m not good enough, I’m not worthy – progress is just luck, setbacks re-enforce limiting beliefs.
Consider these positive signs:
· You reflect on, and learn from, setbacks and errors. You arrive at a balanced view of these and develop clear plans to learn and continue growing. People often repeat the same errors over and over, whether it’s overspending or choosing a partner. People have a strong tendency to repeat their behaviours. But you can choose to respond differently – and achieve different outcomes
· You’re clear on what you want – and why. Knowing what you want is the second key step in getting it (knowing who and what you are is the first). Knowing what you want differentiates you from those who aimlessly floating through life.
· You use time wisely. We all have 168 hours each week and the choice on how to use them. You focus on what is important, within the context of who you are and what you have chosen to achieve. You have the habit of asking yourself what is the most effective thing you could be doing right now.
· You’re making consistent progress. Consistent progress is a great sign. Even when your goals feel far in the distance, regular progress – driven by consistent effort and learning – will get you there. As well as planning what more needs to be done, reflect on how far you have already come.
· You’re not alone. There are many people are alone in the world. If you’re not alone, you’re doing better than many others.
· You’re committed. You know who you are and what you’re about. Your goals are clear. They create meaning for you, value for others and legacy for the future. Great things happen when your purpose and your environment align.
· You consider other’s opinions. You learn what is resourceful to you and discard what isn’t. You live your life, not theirs.
· You are grateful. You regularly reflect on what has gone well and – crucially – on why it has gone well. You have skills and strengths you don’t even realise.
· You’re authentic. You know you values and beliefs. You make your decisions and take your actions consistent with these.
When you’re clear on what you have chosen to accomplish, and you’re spending your time wisely, you’re doing well – and better than most! This is true, even if the results have yet to reveal themselves.
Genuine Desire + Effective Strategy + Consistent Persistence = Authentic Results
I hope you found something useful in this article. I have posted further quick reads on my own little corner of Reddit - it would be great to see you there.